November 23 is Eat a Cranberry Day!
Eating a cranberry may be a tad tart, so why not make this simple but yummy sauce instead? Adding a little orange really makes the cranberry sauce taste special!
Did you know that in Canada, we sometimes refer to cranberries as “marsh apples”?
Serves: 10-12 People Prep Time: 10 mins Total Time: 20 mins
- 2 packages of Ocean Spray fresh cranberries
- zest of orange coarsely cut
- 1-2 good quality flavourful oranges (I use either Honey or Mineola oranges)
- handful of dried cranberries
- Zest the orange (I use around 20 long scrapes of the zest pieces) and coarsely cut (basically if long strips, cut in half or third), put aside.
- Peel the oranges really well, removing as much of the skin, pith and any hard stuff, coarsely chop (make sure and do this on a plate to save all the juices).
- Cook cranberries according to directions and immediately add the zest while cooking.
- Half way through cooking the cranberries, add the orange pieces and dried cranberries.
- Let cool.
- Refrigerate until served
For any recipe that uses raisins, try sweetened dried cranberries instead!