Make your stand-by side dish just a little more special
I have made this carrot side dish for every Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner for years. Of course you could add this to any meal because carrots go with just about everything!
I love just plain cooked carrots, but adding the ginger and lemon just make it that much better, and a little special.
Ingredients you will need
Carrots, butter, sugar, ginger, lemon juice, parsley
This recipe I have always made by eye and taste, so I rarely use exact measurements. Of course, that is my typical style of cooking.
Keep in mind once you make it the first time, just adjust to your taste. You can make it sweeter adding more sugar or less if too sweet for your taste. If you like it spicier, you can increase the fresh ginger.
I forgot to time cooking them, but it was around 1 hour.
Serves: 4 persons Prep Time: 10 mins Total Time: 1 hour
- 4 large carrots (4 cups sliced)
- lemon juice from 1/2 lemon
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 Tablespoon fresh ginger (grated in the bottle if no fresh)
- 2 Tablespoons white sugar
- sprinkle parsley
- Slice carrots thin, as thin as you can.
- Add to pot, cover carrots with approx 1′ water.
- Add half of the lemon juice, ginger, butter and sugar to taste (only half of each ingredient as you will be adding the remainder later).
- Bring to boil, cover and simmer until cooked.
- Drain carrots, remove from pot, hold aside.
- Add remaining lemon juice, butter, ginger and sugar to taste, back in the pot, melt and cook on low, until sugar melted (make as much as you want on the carrots).
- Add carrots back to pot, stir until well coated.
- Add parsley
- Add any of the variations below
Add 1 Tablespoon of honey
Add 1 Tablespoons of toasted sesame seeds
Add 1/2 Tablespoon of toasted black sesame seeds